site

www.startinglifeoveragain.com - Visit my full site where you will find more blogs about other areas in life to start over like going back to school.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

How I finally quit smoking!

Another oldie....  Again this one is also still relavant in starting your life over again. Living healthy in all aspects of life. Obviously when you are smoking you a spending a TON of money to kill yourself slowly. Im not sure that I need to explain the reasons smoking is bad for you but its more about how... how can you make it happen for you.

One step I did change in my life was to quit smoking. 

The first step in my opinion to a healthy living is to quit smoking.  If you are a smoker it will be very difficult to work out to your full capacity, Or really to work out at all. Also, I found it difficult to eat healthy because I would just go have a smoke to subside my hunger.

I was a smoker a few years ago. I really had no intention of quitting any time in my near future. One day I decided instead of taking the bus to work I would take my bike...AHAHAH... I made it about a block away from my house and I was half dead. It was up hill that entire way, but it was just a slight hill. I ended up pushing my bike the majority of the way there. It took about an hour to get there. My lungs were so sore. I knew it was about time I start thinking about quitting.

So more than a whole year goes by, I still have no thoughts of quitting. As a cook I was more than content drinking my coffee and having a smoke.
Any time I even thought about quitting I would have so much anxiety about it that I would end up lighting up before I would have had I not planned on quitting. I really got to the point that I didn’tthink I would actually ever really quit. I didn’t think that I would be able to.

One Christmas my sister-in-law was talking about this book by Allen Carr. That everyone she knew quit smoking right after they read it. Some that had smoked for 40 years. I though wow, one day I should read that book. Maybe it will give me the motivation I need to start to quit. Once again I forgot about it. I just went back to smoking the half a pack a day that I was smoking

Back then a pack ran about 10 per pack and I was smoking roughly between 3.5-4 a week. Let’s say I would smoke about 15 packs per month that is $150 per month
That is $1800.00 per year
WOW!!!! Add to that the fact that my partner smoked .. still a lot of wasted money.
Really though between all the money you’re wasting and all the other down falls really- why smoke
I remember we used to go out with the family fora nice dinner. As soon as it was over mypartner, her mom and I would have to jump up and run out side for a smoke.
(To the other members of Jenny's family: I am truly sorry for getting up in the middle of dinner, In the middle of conversations, and delaying dessert to go have a smoke.
More then anything I am very sorry for coming back to the table stinking like smoke and no doubt ruining the rest of your meal)

Anyways,

So I was sitting at home one night waiting for my partner to get off work and I was surfing the net. The book popped into my head. I figured I would just find out where I could buy it and I thought I Might go pick it up at some point. I didn’t remember what it was called. I googled quit smoking books and lucked out. It is pretty much the only book that comes up.

Allen Carr: Easy ways to quit smoking

I found an online version and actually read it right then.
I was up most of the night but I read the whole thing from beginning to end. I followed what he said to do. When he wanted me to go for a smoke I did. I actually was wondering when he was going to start to burst my bubble and give me all these stats and maybe pictures of what will happen to me if I don’t quit. But he never did. He doesn’t use the"scare" tactic to make you quit. To be honest I don’t even really know what he said to make me quit but what ever it was....
To my amazement before going to bed that night I believe myself to be a non smoker.

I got my partner to read the book and she quit to.
As per the book I threw out almost a whole pack of smokes. I actually emptied the coffee ground basket on top of it in the garbage so I would not have the temptation of digging them out, as they would be ruined.

All was well for a few weeks. I was feeling amazing.The occasional craving (especially at work) but I wasn't actually craving them. I was feeling almost empty during those smoke times in my schedule. Like I needed to be doing something.

I was talking to my partner we were both having a craving at the same time. She admitted that she didn't actually throw hers out. She kept 2 just in case. We both had one. I felt like I had failed. (This was the first actual time I had tried quitting since I had started)  I ended up buying a pack and again I smoked them all like usual. 
After the pack I refrained from buying another pack. I would do well for a week or so then I would buy the pack and smoke it as normal. That went on for a few months
The main excuse I had was my job. I was a cook at a busy restaurant we didn't really get breaks. Our breaks were our smokes.Those few who didn't smoke didn't take breaks unless it was really dead. In which case they would go and sit with the smokers. Which I couldn't do without smoking.

My partner and I decided to up and move across the country. So I was starting a new job. I told my self I would not get into the habit of smoking there. Which I never did. I had the occasional one when I was really stressed at worked. (Maybe 3 total) I would have one on the way in and as soon as I got off.

I continued with not buying any unless I needed them. However, I started smoking less and less. Not smoking at work cut out about 10 per day. I was at this point smoking about 3 tops 4 per day.

Eventually I just never needed to buy another pack.

So the book made me quit something I never really planned on quitting (at least not then) and although it took me about another 4 months to actually quit smoking. Without ANY effort on my part it just happened. 

I promise you, if this book doesn't actually make you quit smoking, it will at least make you start thinking about it. And maybe like me you will actually become a non smoker.  And here I am almost 2 years later and still having not had a smoke. I have thought about it. There was a point I was thinking about it every day. And I still do sometimes. but I don’t consider it a constant battle because it is just a split second thought and I move on to something else then it is gone out of my brain.

Ever since I quit smoking I feel so much better (obviously)
The summer after I quit I decided to take up running... I love it... I was able that summer to get up to 10k without quitting or getting to exhausted.  It was such an amazing feeling to realize that I am able to do something like that.
I am able to sit down and enjoy a family dinner with out rushing through it to try to get outside as fast as possible. The first time you are able to sit down from the beginning to the very end without going out side. You really notice what you were missing.

I enjoy food now. Surprising isn’t it. I was a cook that didn’t truly enjoy food. I loved the cooking part of it and the action of people when they ate something that I made. But I didn’t really eat it myself.

I now am able to lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy it.
When you take the first step and quit smoking. You will snowball into a healthy lifestyle.
You will want to eat healthier which will make you want to be more active.

I promise you won't regret it. ;)